Spanish Chicken with Spicy Lemon Rice
From Crescent Foods Premium All Natural Halal Chicken & Beef Products | Main Dishes | Spanish
High cal Calories 1037kcal
High fat Total Fat 64g
High sat-fat Saturated Fat 14g
High chol Cholesterol 278mg
High sodium Sodium 1083mg
High carbs Total Carbohydrate 62g
Serving size 705g Calories from fat 576kcal Fiber 5g Protein 53g Sugar 8g
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt and freshly ground pepper
6 chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds)
1/4 cup canola oil
One 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 green bell peppers, diced into 2-inch pieces
1 onion, sliced into thick pieces
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup rice
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Zest and juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup pitted green olives (with pimientos)
Special equipment: slow cooker
- In a large zip-top bag, mix together the flour, paprika, garlic powder and some salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss to coat completely.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the canola oil. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes per side. While the chicken is cooking, to a slow cooker add the tomatoes, peppers and onions. Top with the chicken thighs.
- In same skillet used to brown the chicken, add the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Pour over top of the chicken in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours, or until the chicken is extremely tender.
- In a medium pot, combine 2 cups water, the rice, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, juice of half the lemon and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid.
- To serve, spoon the rice onto a deep-sided platter and ladle the Spanish chicken and vegetables over top. Garnish with the olives and squeeze over the remaining lemon juice. Reserve 2 chicken thighs and 1 cup of the vegetables for Round 2 Recipe – Pita Pile on with Spicy Yogurt Sauce.
Recipe Content & Photo ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright Food Network