There’s nothing more enjoyable in the summer than no-fuss food. Fresh produce and great halal chicken are all you need in this recipe, allowing time for more fun in the sun without sacrificing great flavor.
Ingredients for the Grilled Chicken
- Herb & Citrus Sauce (recipe follows)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lb. Crescent Foods Premium Halal boneless chicken meat (breast or thigh), cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce
- 4 Roma tomatoes
- ½ lb. fresh feta cheese, crumbled
Ingredients for the Herb & Citrus Sauce
- ¼ tsp. whole cumin, toasted
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems
- ¾ cup fresh mint leaves
- ¾ cup fresh flat leaf parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- zest of 4 small lemons or 3 large ones (preferably organic)
- zest of 4 limes (preferably organic)
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. sea salt
Directions for the Herb & Citrus Sauce
- Grind together the toasted (over dry heat) cumin and red pepper flakes. Measure ½ tsp. of this combination.
- Blend the cumin-red pepper, fresh herbs, garlic, zest of lemons and limes, black pepper and salt in a bowl until well combined.
Directions for the Grilled Chicken
- In a large glass bowl, combine the herb & citrus sauce and the oil with the chicken, covering each piece of meat with the herbs and oil.
- Heat a grill or an indoor grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Grill chicken over direct heat until meat is cooked through, about 4-6 minutes per side, or until the juices run clear. Be careful not to over-cook the meat or it may become dry.
Directions to Make the Wraps
- Clean and dry the lettuce leaves. Remove seeds from the tomatoes and chop finely.
- Add chicken to the lettuce leaves, top with tomatoes and sprinkle with feta. Wrap the lettuce leaves around the chicken and toppings.
Serve by arranging the wraps in a platter for guests or arrange all ingredients in separate plates for a help-yourself style serving
Check out the Nutritional Facts for this recipe
Recipe by Yvonne Maffei, My Halal Kitchen
You may also be interested in...