The delicious filling here is ready-cooked roast chicken mixed with spinach, peppers and creamy ricotta cheese. Serve with a side salad.
Chicken and Spinach Calzone
2 cups (280 g) white bread mix
1 2/3 cups (350 g) frozen spinach, thawed in a sieve
3/4 cup (200 g) ricotta cheese
1/2 cup (50 g) grated parmesan cheese
4 large chargrilled red pepper pieces, drained and chopped
6 spring onions, finely chopped
tablespoons shredded fresh basil
Grated nutmeg, to taste
7 ounces Crescent Boneless Skinless Breast, finely shredded
1 egg, beaten
- Make up the dough according to the packet instructions. Knead the dough briefly on a lightly floured work surface until smooth, then put into a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a clean tea towel. Leave to rise for about 15 minutes until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Use your hands to squeeze all excess water from the spinach. Put the spinach in a bowl and mix in the ricotta, parmesan, peppers, spring onions and basil. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Knock back the risen dough and cut it into four equal pieces. Roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface to a 20 cm round. Spread one-quarter of the spinach mixture over half of each dough round, taking it to about 2.5 cm from the edge. Pile the chicken on top.
- Brush the edge of each dough round with beaten egg, then fold over the untopped half to make a half-moon shape. Crimp the edges to seal tightly.
- Place on a lightly oiled large baking tray. Brush with beaten egg and bake for about 15 minutes until puffed and golden brown. Serve hot.
Recipe Content & Photo ALL RIGHTS RESERVED http://www.rd.com/